Saturday, January 29, 2011

‘Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning’




is a quote from the bible, but the first place I read it was in one of my favourite books. I grew up with Anne of Green Gables, Emily of New Moon, Jane of Lantern Hill and Kilmeny of the Orchard. Some of my copies of these books were my mother’s, and my copy of ‘Anne of Avonlea’ says in the front ‘To Jean, 1926’ – Jean was my nana. They have been a legacy to me from the women in my family.

When I was pregnant with our eldest in 1997 my morning sickness was dreadful so that Easter I just went to bed and read all my LM Montgomery books again. They are like an old, dear friend. The sentence above is from ‘Anne of the Island’ – Anne realises she does really love Gilbert but he is dying. After enduring an agonising night, she hears that he has turned a corner and will be well again. It says,

‘A sentence from a very old, very true, very wonderful Book came to her lips: “Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning”’.

It has been a dream of mine to visit Prince Edward Island…to visit so many sites from these books …and we had planned to do so on this trip…but alas! My sunny Australian optimism has meant that I had thought that April would be perfect (after all, isn’t that heading into summer?) But friends of my parents who live in Canada kindly researched for me and we have discovered that April isn’t perfect, in fact it’s snowy and cold and not much is open. So, we need a plan B (which doesn’t involve PEI!)

I’m waiting for joy to come in the morning.
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment