Sunday, April 3, 2011

40 in NYC


They plotted and planned and did all kinds of secret things while I was washing up. When it all came together on the 26th March it was the best day of my life so far. What a blessing it is to have a devoted God fearing wife and 4 boys who adore their dad.

It began with some hugs and souvenir gifts – a Mickey Mouse watch I had admired at Animal Kingdom and a new cap with the number 71 on it were my favourites (along with Bangladesh which celebrates its independence on my birthday, 1971 is significant as the birth year for Walt Disney World). But then the secret project was revealed, Karen had been working with the boys on a book for me with all their thoughts on different things, composed entirely by them (eg. my favourite memory, a lesson you’ve taught me, favourites from Dad’s kitchen etc.). It is not easy to measure your progress as a father, all I can see is my faults, failures, excuses and “if onlys,” however what the boys recorded in the book was the greatest encouragement I could ever have received to press on and persevere in the task of being their dad to raise them in the knowledge and fear of the Lord.

After waffles for breaky it was time to hit the streets of NYC and head for the best burgers in New York. An old friend who had lived for a time in NYC had recommended the Shake Shack and we were totally blown away. Not only were the burgers incredible but the shakes were also. Nb. If this ministry gig falls through I’m going to start a Shake Shack store in OZ just so I can eat these again and again and again.



From there we toured through Times Square and the Toys R Us building, and finally settled in our seats on Broadway to watch the stage production of Disney’s Mary Poppins. What was it like? Hilarious, fun, amazing, overwhelming and heart warming – just what you want from a good musical! We’ve been singing it ever since. After Mary we followed our noses to experience a local flea market and then headed back to the RV for the night.



Dinner was indulgent! My favourite satay chicken followed by a chocolate mousse pie topped with strawberries and cream, with a hot chocolate chaser to finish. Could I be more loved, more fulfilled, more entertained, more tummy filled? Only in heaven when I will see God face to face. Till then, turning 40 in New York with my precious Karen and 4 gorgeous sons will be hard to top.


Michael

2 comments:

  1. Buzz Lightyear AND Lego!! How good does it get, Aidan?

    PS Happy Birthday, Mic

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo of Mike with the burger...love it! I can see where your boys get their impish grins from!

    ReplyDelete