Saturday, April 23, 2011

Why I Love Karen






Just one of the reasons … and not really a main one; yet there is something terrifically endearing about a woman who can cook for a man who likes to eat.

When we entered this ancient Cotswold’s cottage I was bracing myself for disappointment from the whole family. Sure it was at a place called Great Rissington but all that meant was it was bigger than the other Rissington. Everywhere I looked was another strange room and I bumped my head on beams and ceilings and doorways at every turn. However after 8 weeks in an RV this was luxury. The kids loved the backyard and all the space to move and Karen loved the window seats, the garden, the quaintness of it all and she loved, she loved most of all … the oven?!

I thought this was supposed to be a holiday and there was Karen wanting to cancel all kinds of things so she could stay home and cook. Never one to fight against a good meal I encouraged her love for the Aga and off we went to the shops for supplies. Before you could say “3 course meal” Karen had strapped on the floral apron, unsheathed her whisk and the food began to arrive. We could barely eat fast enough and were any of us complaining? No way!






Slow cooked Beef Korma, Chicken Pie, Risotto, Roast Chicken, Roast Pork, Berry & Clotted Cream Pudding, Apple Turnover, Hot Cross Buns & Aga toast melts with all kinds of pastry treats to eat throughout each day. In the spirit of English country cookery we also went off to Stow-on-the-Wold Growers Market to sample the local wares. Here we purchased pork pies from a lady who I’m sure knew the pigs by name, donuts filled with lemon curd made that morning, potted wood pigeon and potted pheasant along with various garden greens and jams.

Was it good? Very!
Are we fatter? Without doubt!
Do I love my wife’s cooking? What do you think?!

Michael











No comments:

Post a Comment